Skip to main content

Abyss




Space. Endless void. Rustling air vents. Banging walls. I changed direction from a cabin in the woods to the final frontier.
Initially inspired by Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, I found myself floating more and more off topic.
The deciding factor was after I began implementing a new lighting engine. Testing it out on the Cabin gave me the chills and after listening to endless podcasts about Silent Hills: P.T. And watching Prometheus and Alien Covenant back to back I decided to go the route of a more traditional psychological horror game.
What had to happen though to realise this new aesthetic was that I had to pick up a months work of development and toss it into the fire.
Letting go is sometimes just as important as catching up to your goals even if that means destroying something you firmly had visualise to come through to the end properly. 
Special thanks to everyone who contributed and
I look forward to seeing you all next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Links

............................................................................................................................................... Download My Games  Music Instagram  Twitter Facebook

The weird zen of getting killed in Dead Cells (or how failure should be a circle)

With winter now approaching down under I've found myself adjusting a bit more to bunker life and able to get a bit more balance with my design work. In saying that I've had a little bit more time to play more games, watch new films  and glean new insight and inspiration which I'm going to want to start talking about more.  So l'm going to write about Dead Cells. Sometimes seen as Hollow Knight's other cousin, Dead Cells is also a metroidvania hack and slash platformer.  It would be unfair to compare both art styles as each aesthetic is drastically different to the other but Hollow Knight is an almost like looking at a classical painting of greek mythology with  tolkeinesque ethrealism while Dead Cells is a beautiful sega megadrive mess of pixilated insanity.  What sets them at odds apart however is how Dead Cells has set up it's Game Over in which there isn't one.  Yes your mortal shell does shuffle off everytime you are slain but you

Black as holes within a memory, Drowning all the ground around me

I'm going to talk about initially, what inspired my newest game I am developing called “The Contaminos: Fallen Earth” and it's counterpart “The Contaminos: Broken Sky.” Roughly 18 years ago I was in Paddy's market in Sydney, the ten-year-old me was looking for Yu-Gi-Oh cards when I came across a rather peculiar discovery.  The counterfeit Pokemon games Jade and Diamond (Funnily enough Diamond would eventually become an actual game years later in the future, with the legendary featured in that game to be a time traveler) share an actual real life relationship with counterfeit jade and diamonds which are worth more than gold in real life. To me seeing these there at that time, a form of cognitive dissonance formed momentarily. These looked real to me but at the same time I was aware that these may have been from another planet. I'm glad I didn't end up getting them because when I asked someone in the playground about Pokemon Jade and Diamond a friend